An ancient agricultural
settlement, Peruc is situated over a forested landscape fault , which goes down
to the wide valley of the nearby Ohre river.
Into public awareness Peruc
came mainly by the romantic story of the meeting between Oldrich and Bozena. The
first write about the story was Kosmas in the 12th century, followed by Dalimil
and Vaclav Hajek of Libočany in the 16th century. A story of Czech prince who
married a common village girl some time in 1004 was taken over by Czech
renaissance authors, as it was example of Premyslid monarchs (democratic style.
It was also reflected in painting (by Frantisek Zeníšek), folk-songs and operas
Historically, Peruc was for
the first time evidenced in 1170, when it belonged to Mesek and Hroznata
brothers. Before the Hussite wars, a large part of the village was owned by the
Premonstratensian fairy in Strahov. Later a number of different owners took
turns here. Among the better known ones, let us mention the Pětipestský family
in the 16th century and the Hruska of Brezno family before the 30-year war. In
1673, Peruc was bought by Jan Jetrich of Ledebur, whose descendants lived here
till 1798. In the period of 1804 to 1945, Peruc was owned by the Thun family.
A parish church was in
Peruc since 1384. The medieval fort was rebuilt as a renaissance manor in the
16th century. During the 30-year war, between 1618 and 1648, the village and its
vicinity were plundered several times. The consolidation was mostly looked after
by the Ledebur family in the late 18th century., when the core buildings of
Peruc (the castle, church etc.) took more or less the today's shape. In 1813, a
vast army of anti-Napoleon coalition was assembled between Peruc and Vraný, and
Russian tsar, Prussian king and Austrian Emperor met here. In the early 1870's,
the Prague-Most railway was put into operation, with a station in Peruc, in the
period of 1856 to 1911, there was an industrial sugar refinery in the village.
Near to it a well-known swimming pool was established in 1980, Peruc was
promoted to a market-township status.
Quite a few interesting
sights are remains of the Peruc history. The slanted square is dominated by St.
Peter's and Paul's Church built by P.P. Columbany in 1725, with an impressive
facade valuable inside facilities. Opposite to it there is a three-tract castle
of the 1760-1770 period, with a Rococo reconstruction of the original building.
It is interesting by its oval entrance hall with a staircase, I.F. Platzer's
sculptures and other decorations. A special side gate leads to a park with some
Close to the square are
several interesting rural and town houses, including the town-hall. The most
popular attraction however is the roof-covered pseudo-Gothic Bozena's spring,
past which we can go down to an ancient and massive Oldřich's oak, which is
wilting nowadays. Several more sculptures are to be seen in Peruc, in particular
the statue of St. John of Nepomuk in the square at the church and the memorial
of the three monarchs in the fields close to Vrany.
Peruc parish is in a
building of extraordinary historical value. In the period of 1840 to 1892 there
was an outstanding patriot and philantropist František Danes. He was visited by
K.H.Borovsky, F. Palacky, F.L.Rieger, K.Sabina, F.L.Celakovsky, V.B.Trebizsky,
J.S.Baar, B.Jablonsky, A.E.Komers, and S.Cech's family, by the way, originated
In late 18th century, the
castle here was known by the very developed musical life. A hundred years later,
the village became a popular summer resort. Many painters began to coming here.
This tradition was in a most significant way completed by Emil Filla
(1882-1953), who moved to Peruc after the World War II and painted the
Its is fully justified to
say that Peruc is a very attractive and memorable place, The vicinity is
pleasant, from Debersky to Macuv dul, over which there is a well-known Krásná
vyhlídka view, with unique panoramic views of Ceské stredohori mountains
The royal town of Louny was
founded by the House of Premyslides in the middle of the 13th century on two
important traffic routes: a water route on the river Ohře and a land route on
the way from Prague to Nuremberg or Leipzig. There used to exist a settlement
called Luna already at the end of the 11th century located in the place of
today's St. Peter's Church, which was later built there in the middle of the
15th century. Another significant monuments of Louny (such as the fortification
walls with bastion and the Zatec Gate, God's Mother Church and the House of
Sokols of Mory) remained preserved from the end of that century. A destroing
fire broke out in the town in March 1517. As a result of this harmful fire the
inhabitants of Louny were forced to build a new church. The construction of the
new St. Nicola's Church built in the late Gothic style was finished in 1538
according to the plans of royal architect Benedict Rejt. From the Renaissance
period we can also admire the house of "Daliborka" whose facade comes from the
turn of the 17th century. For example the so-coled "Baroque Hospital" (a hotel
nowadays) or the statue of the Virgin Mary placed on the plague column in the
centre of the town allows us to look into the life at the end of the 17th
century. At the beginning of the 19th century a building of the contemporary
courtyard in Empire style was built in the place of the original town hall from
1398. The flood-protection bridge with 40 arches was built serving as a stable
road between Louny and Leipzig in the period of numerous floods. We can also see
other buildings from the end of the 19th century, e.g. the Jewish synagogue, the
Jirasek mills or the contemporary town hall built in Historicism style in the
place of the former "Three Lime Trees" house.
Louny - Interesting
1. Church of St.
build in the 16th century
at a place of an original Gothic church, which was destroyed by a fire in 1517.
An architect was apparently royal master builder Benedict Rejt. Triple gambrel
roof with 60m high prismatic tower n NW corner (municipal and country armorial
bearings on a facade), groined vault converging to 6 rectangular butresses,
plastered decorated late Gothic presbyterium. Baroque triptych carved
prime-altar from the beginning of the 18th century.
Open: Tue - Fri: 14,00 -
16,00, Sat - Sun: 13,00- 17,00
A house of Sokol's from
Mor, late Gothic from the end of the 15th century with orial windows, parapet
and high hip roof.
Open: Thu - Fri: 9,00 -
17,00, Sat - Sun: 13,00 - 17,00
3. Gallery of
Here you can see unique collection of works by Emil Filla, Otto
Gutreund and Jiri Kolar.
Open: Thu - Sun: 10,00 -
4. Jan Hus
from the year 1925 by sculptural J.Kvasnicka.
by J.J.Bendl from
6. Žatec Gate
is late Gothic, prismatic
with a lancet arch from 1500, municipal coat-of-arms on a west front. By the
sides of a carriage-way are stone memorials with Latin signs and a date 1500.
The gate was in 1872 reconstructed (pseudo-Gothic parapet).
7. Museum "Fossil
in area minigolf. In an
exposition of the museum are fossils 20 - 280 mil. Year old.
Open: Mon - Sun: 11,00 -
is in pseudo-Renaissance
style from 1887, built according to project of S.Heller. There are eight
alegorical statues on the front.
stredohori(Bohemian Highlands) impresses each visitor with its unique scenery,
which we would vainly search for in Bohemia or elsewhere in central Europe. From
the biological viewpoint the area is characterised by a marked diversity of
plant and animal species and belongs to the richest in Bohemia. Numerous
historic monuments are witnesses of the fact that the chapters of Czech history
were written here very early.
In 1976 a large area of the
geomorphological unit of Ceske stredohori was designated a protected landscape
area with the aim to preserve the natural and scenic values of this unique area.
It includes 1.063 km2 of land.
The town was founded in the
half of the 13th century with royal castle of Zbynek Zajic from Hasenburg. In
the possesion of Sternberk and Herbersteins adopted to Gothic-Renaissance
chateau, a big rectangular tower on the eastern side with Renaissance sgraphito
ashlar decoration, halls with Gothic groined vault and Renaissance paintings.
Church of St. Wenceslav founded in the 13th century with southern Gothic aisle,
presbyterium and tower, Baroque plastered decorations at the prime-alter by
B.Eder. There is a stone Baroque bridge from 1770 in the nortwest part of the
Baroque castle from the end
of the 17th century (Torr, Passariny), prime-front with parapets, arcads in the
courtyard, Gothic church of St. James adopted to Baroque during the 18th
century, altars with sculptural decoration by M.Braun and Plaque Column,
paintings by V.V.Reiner.
A church of St.Simon and
Juda originally Romance, then adopted to Baroque, prismatic tower with two rows
of Romance windows, Baroque castle.
Late Baroque castle
from the end of the 18th century, rich stucco decoration on facade, rooms in
Rococo style with floral design. Church of All Saints from the half of the 18th
century. Paternal place of Vaclav Hajek of Libocany, who was an author of famous
The remnants of meadows at
castle in Doksy, state natural reservation in the area of 20ha, colony of rooks
(Trypanocorax frugileus) and nest of kingfisher (Alcedo atthis).
Health resort, patients
have been cured by peat packs since 1796, pseudo-Renaissance and Secese bath's
Benedict's closter from the
beginning of 12th century stood here originally, in 1420 completely destroyed by
hussite attack . Renaissance mansion from 1611, reconstructed several times,
last at the end of 18th century. Classicistic gate. Baroque church of the
Anscension of the Virgin Mary from the half of the 18th century built by
On a rocky mountain ruins
of castle founded in the 15th century, in the year 1593 already
A massive hill with steppe
vegetation, state natural reservation of an area 1,5ha, rare grasses of
southrussian prairie (Avenastrum besseri), steppe kinds of
Here you can see an
Augustian cloister founded in the 1373 by Albrecht Kolovrat, which was several
times damaged by hussites and Saxons, last Baroque reconstruction were made in
the half of the 18th century by A. Lurago according to plans K.I.Dienzenhofer as
well as at cloister church of the Ansscension of the Virgin Mary - paintings by
V.V.Reiner and J.Kramolin, statues by F.I.Weiss.
Baroque castle built at
place of stronghold from the beginning 15th century by G.and P. de Maggi in
Here is situated paternal
house of writer Vaclav Benes Trebizky and middlebohemian outdoor
Baroque church and
presbytery built abouut 1730 by K.I.Dienzenhofer.
Ruins of Githic castle from
the 13th century, devasted during the Thirty-year War. Massive
At a place of original
stronghold of a Lučan tribe. It has been a royal town since 1265, at the period
of Hussite Wars was formed Zatec municipal pac. Its army was not defetaeted
until 1438 at Zeletice. In the second half of the 15th century the town came to
develop thanks to growth of trade and hop cultivation, it was onee of the
biggest towns of the time, well preserved are only remains of Gothic municipal
fortification (Priest and Libocanska gate, Hussite bulwark). Gothic town houses
with acces gallery in a square are Baroque and Klasicist adopted. Originally
Romance church of the Anscension of the Virgin Mary reconstructed in the 14th
century, in the west portal romance relief of St. Peter from the first half of
the 13th century.
Back to the main page